Welcome! St. John has been serving students and their families since 1853 in Plaquemine and surrounding areas.
In 1853, Catholic education was established in Plaquemine under the leadership of Father Charles Chambost, Pastor of St. John Church. He engaged the services of the Marianite Sisters of the Holy Cross, who came to Plaquemine to set up a school for girls, St. Basil's Academy. In 1858, the boys' school and St. Johns' Church was destroyed by fire. Father M. Harnais constructed a new school building adjacent to the church in 1888. In 1933, St. John Free School for Boys and St. Basil's Academy merged to form the present day St. John School. Monsignor Robin bought the property where the schools are located today. The gymnasium was built and used for classrooms while the high school was being built. The high school, under the direction of the Marianite Sisters, was dedicated in 1960. The elementary school was opened in the fall of 1967.
St. John School is a family. Many of our teachers and staff are alumni and enroll their own children here. Together with community organizations and parents, we form our students with Christian principles and prepare them for the future.
St. John School is more than our classrooms. Our campus Masses are open to the community, and for special events, we gather at St. John Church. Our music department puts on a Christmas musical program, and our students participate in the Stations of the Cross held at St. John Church. Our Home & School Association, the Fathers Club, and the Alumni Association support our programs and fundraising efforts. Local associations also support our students with scholarship opportunities.